Saturday 12 November 2011

INTERNET!

I am typing this from my apartment. Because my internet WORKS. I am buying my bosses several billion cookies. 
Let us continue.

November 4, 2011
So I have almost made it through a fourth week here in South Korea! I have learned one new phrase, some proper pronunciation, and can now remember five or six letters of hangul out of forty-one (I need to sit down and write them out sometime!), and I feel like I am improving (somewhat) with the job every week.
There is some drama happening as one of my coworkers is being let go, but he has to stay on until a replacement can be found, or by the end of the semester or something. It’s been a bit tense at the office, but I think the bosses are glad to know which corner the rest of us are in. Very likely things are going to be pretty busy as a result, but we all know I’m not one to shy away from such a creature. I’m just glad it didn’t happen in, say, my first or second week here.
As it is, the new semester is soon changing, so new kids, new classes—right when I’ve finally got my routine down-ish. At the same time, it will be nice to kind of start fresh. Or I’ll be back at square one, tearing my hair out. Probably not as much though, since I can actually do prep now (yay), and know my textbooks better.
Internet is still MIA. Boss and Miss K, bless ‘em, were at my place for an HOUR today, on the phone with their provider, trying to fix the issue. Likely we will have to start all over, and I will likely be without internet again this weekend, but I have books, exploring is good exercise, and I can write, draw, compose some postcards…
I’m too much of a web junkie anyway, and not holing up all the time is a good way to combat culture shock I hear. I imagine I’m still not over it either, especially since I still find myself doing a countdown as to how long it is until I go home.
By the way, nearly four weeks down, so just over 48 to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment